Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 1 - January 23rd 2010

Kirk and I left our house at about 3:30am so that we would arrive at Flint Bishop Airport around 5am. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 7am but we had our first magical thing happen of the trip **** we arrived at the ticket counter and they asked if we were willing to give up our seats on our non-stop flight to Orlando and take a connecting flight to Atlanta and then to Orlando which would have us landing at about the same time. Airtran offered us 2 free flights to use in the next year and to fly first class to Atlanta! Of course we said YES!

Once we checked in on the new flight they said we needed to hurry they were boarding now. So we checked our bags and ran to security. The airport was empty (Flint is a small airport). We were the last to board the plane but we sat in row 1, served drinks, and stretched out. It was great in first class.

We arrived in Atlanta and reboarded to Orlando right away and this time we were in coach...what a difference. But, we were on our way HOME so its ok.

The flights were pretty unexciting, which is good. Kirk and I both got DSi's so we played on those. Airtran also has free WiFi so we were on the internet. We landed in Orlando around 10am and we could tell it was warm as soon as we got off the plane. No more winter coats!! When we left Michigan it was about 20 degrees and in Orlando it was 65 degrees. Nice!

We unloaded off the plane, took the tram to the Disney Express counter and it seemed like they were waiting for us. We loaded onto a Disney Express Bus and off to Caribbean Beach Resort. Of course we love watching the video on the bus, it is our welcome home message.

As we pulled into the resort we knew this was the perfect place for the two of us. I had requested Jamacia building 44 or 45 ahead of time and we got building 44 Jamacia. It was so quick picking up our welcome packet, keys to the world, and jumping on the internal bus to our home for the next 10 days. The resort is so beautiful and tropical. After we checked out our room (pics to come later), we dropped off our carry on luggage, and we went to Ole' Port Royal for lunch. It was a short walk over the bridge and we were so hungry. We both had sandwiches and chips.

************* Next step ... Castle bound**********************

We walked out to the bus stop and hopped a bus to Magic Kingdom. We only waited about 5 minutes for the bus and I was so excited by this point that I kept tearing up. The bus ride was about 18 minutes and we walked through those gates -- I WAS HOME.

One thing I did not mention is that I have created a scrapbook that contains a page for every character in the park, I have printed off cards for the characters to sign (thanks to the designers on the DIS), and hubby & I are character stalkers So other then enjoying our alone time on this trip - we focused on collecting signatures. When we were at Disney World in August we collected 25 so we did not want to repeat those. We character dined and collected almost all of the main characters.

After traveling all morning – we were finally HOME – Magic Kingdom. This is Kirk and I’s favorite park. My excitement heightened as I walked through the turnstiles. The first glance at the castle is amazing and breathtaking every time I see it. After a quick look around Main Street to see if there were any characters (which the only ones out were ones that I already had signatures for), we hopped on the train and went back to frontier land. Our first stop was going to be Big Thunder Mountain but the line was crazy long so we fast passed it and planned to come back later.

We decided to walk past Splash Mountain to see what they were doing to it. I knew it was being refurbished but I still had to look. It was completely dry. Kinda cool to see. Kirk and I just kept talking about how awesome the weather was. It was so warm and sunny. Completely different then what we left earlier that morning in Michigan. We were dressed in T-shirts and jeans and we were very comfortable. As we passed by Splash, we seen Donald Duck dressed up as an Indian and Goofy dressed as a cowboy. I do already have their signatures but I do not have photos with them in these outfits.


I knew Kody, my youngest son, would love this because he is a cowboy. He loves anything and everything that has to do with cowboys. I am sure we will be searching for these characters when we come back with my boys in September.

The park seemed to have a lot of people everywhere except when we waited in line for rides or attractions. We just walked on everything. We walked through the mobs of people to the Haunted Mansion. We walked right on, no wait at all. I love this ride. I am always amazed by the little details that are on this ride. Our hitchhiker at the end of the ride was a old bearded ghost. We did notice something new this time. At the end of the intro (the room that they pack people into), and the voice says that the only way out is his way, we always look for the opening in the wall and this time we looked up to see the body hanging from the ceiling. We have never noticed that. I bet I have rode this ride at least a dozen times and never seen it. Kirk and I laughed about this through the whole ride, we just kept saying it was cool that we seen something new.

After the spooks, we went back to BTM. We basically walked right on. No wait in the fast pass line at all. We rode in the front of the coaster and we have never been there. I did not like it. It seemed jerkier than normal. I love the ride but I just do not want to be in the front. Still a thrill.
We then walked over to the Hall of Presidents. I had not seen the new show since they added Obama to it. In August when we were here, Kirk and some kids went to see it and I had the other kids somewhere else so I wanted to see it this time. I loved the additions, the changes in the beginning, with Abe Lincoln, and Obama. It is amazing how the US Presidents have affected us and our history as a country. Kirk is a huge history nerd and he is very patriotic so he also loves the Hall.








After we left the Hall we jumped back on the train and headed back to Toon Town. It was so busy, I think every person in Magic Kingdom was in Toon Town. We had to walk through the town before construction started. Soon things will look very different back there. We went to the princess meet & greet since I had not gotten their signatures yet. We got to see Aurora, Cinderella, and Belle.







**When I packed for this trip, I brought my Disney tote bag to put our ponchos, sweatshirts, autograph books, journal, and other things in and it seemed like a good choice but my shoulder was killing me and so was Kirk’s so we decided to purchase a backpack. This was the best purchase ever. I wish I was one of those people who could travel in the park without a bag but, that is not me. **

We decided to pass on walking through Mickey and Minnie’s houses since we had done it a million times. I think the mob of people were in the houses anyways. So, then we walked back over toward Liberty Square.
Our ADR for Liberty Tree Tavern at 6:20pm and we had about an hour before dinner so we boarded the Riverboat. I am not sure why we always ride this, no thrill factor here but we always do. Kirk says it is because it is so relaxing. I loved the warm breeze and the sound of the water. We were really getting hungry at this point so we were glad it was almost dinner time.

We walked over to Liberty Tree Tavern and the place was packed, we checked in and in about 20 minutes we were seated. I will say while we were waiting to be seated I was amazed at the number of people who were ticked off because they could not walk in and be seated without a reservation. I know that not everyone knows that you need to make a reservation but some people were so awful to the CM’s. I felt bad for them.

We sat in the George Washington room. I had eaten here back in 2000 and I knew the food was good. I also knew that because Crystal Palace was under refurbishment that this was character dining. First of waiter brought out rolls and salad along with our drinks. I could have made a meal just off of that. The salad has a raspberry vingerette that was so awesome. The rolls were to die for as well. Our main course was turkey, ham, flank steak, potatoes, green beans, and mac & cheese. The food here is top notch and it is served family style, all you can eat. The kicker was dessert, apple cobbler with ice cream. Although we were both so stuffed, we forced down dessert.

The characters came to us at the table. First up was Minnie, I think she had a crush on Kirk.




Then Pluto….





Chip & Dale…










It was fun to watch the characters interact with other tables also but the funniest thing I ever saw during character dining took place at this meal. The table next to us had 3 couples and 5 kids at it and when Dale walked up to their table he says, “Hello Alvin”, Dale was upset. He walked away from their table shaking his head like he could not believe it. The kids at the table told the man that it was Chip (which it was Dale) and the man was apologizing and Dale came back. I was so funny, everyone in the area heard it and we were all laughing.

After dinner we trudged through the mobs of people who were getting ready for the fireworks show. We decided to skip the fireworks tonight since we had 9 more days. It was a great idea because we got to the bus and our bus was waiting for us. We were so tired from traveling that we needed some rest.








No comments:

Post a Comment