Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 6 - January 28, 2010

We decided that today we were going to go off schedule a little. The weather was beautiful and they are calling for rain on Saturday and that was the day that we were planning to see Spectromagic so we thought we better go to Magic Kingdom tonight to see the parade. I need to see this parade because I have never seen it, not even when it was Main Street Electrical Parade. So, we changed up our plan for a full day of Hollywood Studios, nap, and then Magic Kingdom. We had reservations at Sci-Fi for lunch at 1:10pm so we had to be at Hollywood for that long.

So we got up and around – taking our time of course, no rush. Off to Hollywood we go. Our first ride was Aerosmith’s Rockin Rollercoaster. I was nervous about this one, I can’t lie. Kirk kept telling me it was not that scary, he rode it with a couple of the kids last August. He said if I can do Everest, I can do this. By the time we got to the loading area, I was freaking out. It goes 0-60 in under 3 seconds and I could tell from the other people that this was intense. You get into the seat, pull down the bar over your head and then wait for the countdown! And then HOLY MOLY that was a fast take off. It does lopes too. I loved it and the intensity was perfect. I told Kirk that was a must do again for sure.


We walked to the Animation building for some pictures with the UP characters too:



We did have to wait about a ½ hour to see them but we visited with the family that was in front of us. A great thing about Disney, we chat with everyone in line, on the bus, everywhere.

So after pics with Dug, Carl, and Russell we headed back to the backlot tour. This was a first time for us. And we really liked it. The first part of the tour was a walking tour along a movie set and they showed us how they do water scenes with bombs, shooting, and flooding.

Next we walked through a building full of props. I am a horse person so that was all I took pictures of, horse related items.




Then we boarded a tram and it took us past more props from movies. I do not know what movies everything came from because I did not write it down as we went. I loved the ears on the water tower.






We drove past two buildings, the first was costuming and the second was props. We could see employees in them working on projects.




We then entered the canyon scene – this is really awesome. You can feel the heat from the fire and we did get a little wet but that is only cause I sat closest to the water.





Just as we were ending the tram ride, we seen where Mike & Sulley were from Monsters Inc. We have looked for these characters many times and never found them. We were not looking in the right place I guess. I love this movie. My son wore out a VHS tape when it first came out, I know every word!

The tram lets you off so that you walk through another building of props from movies. We love Pirates of the Caribbean and Narnia so I took some photos of those props.




Obviously we headed right for Monsters Inc.’s Mike & Sulley next:



Our lunch reservation was for at SCI-FI so we headed in that direction. We realized we had enough time to see Muppets in 3D so we walked right into that show, no wait. I think this is one of the dumbest shows in Disney World. It needs to be referbed seriously. Kirk does enjoy it but he agrees that it needs some changes.

This was our first time at SCI-FI and it will probably be my last also. The building is very cool and I loved all the convertibles. Each car sat three rows of 2 people each. A very large movie screen was in front of us showing old Sci-Fi clips of movies. I loved the cheesy commercials about going to the snack bar and getting refreshments. The menu only had about 8 items on it. Kirk had a burger and I had a grilled chicken sandwich. We had spinach & artichoke dip as an appetizer. Overall we both thought the food was very over priced for the quality of the food.

We agreed a nap would be good at this point – we must be getting old because it felt so refreshing.

After our nap we decided to head back to Magic Kingdom since we wanted to see Spectromagic. We made our way onto Main Street and they were doing the flag lowering ceremony. We stood there and watched, it was actually a really great presentation. We did some shopping and then found a spot for the Move It Shake it parade, even though we had seen this parade already this trip. We also got some popcorn.

It was not long before the castle was lit up and changing colors and the street was buzzing with people looking for the best place to see Spectromagic. You must get here early – that is the key.



Here are a bunch of photos.





This was a jaw dropping parade. I loved it.




This was the first time we have ever seen this parade. Just amazing.




We skipped out on Wishes. It was funny every night we said we were going to stay for them and as soon as the streets flooded with people we left. We got back to the resort and dropped off our stuff at the room. We walked up to Old Port Royal for dinner. We both had caesar salads and these were really good. Kirk got chicken on his but I did not. After dinner we went into the gift shop to grab a couple of pops before we headed back into the room. We love to walk to and from Jamaica on the bridge, especially at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment